Cool Stuff

Cool Stuff From a Love of Motherhood, Scrapbooking, & Decor

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Freezer Paper Stenciling


This is an easy project with wonderful results. You need the following:

- freezer paper (found at most grocery stores)
- fabric paint
- a craft knife
- a sponge brush

Here's how I did it:

1. Draw your stencil on some freezer paper (I got some ideas from a children's book or you can get stencils from Google Images) and cut out the image with a craft knife leaving at least an inch or two of paper outside of image.

2. Iron a piece of freezer paper (as big as your stencil) to INSIDE of garment (shiny side facing fabric). Then, iron your image to outside (again, shiny side facing fabric). This causes the freezer paper to stick together and avoid moving while painting.

3. Using a sponge brush, brush on fabric paint evenly (I've seen cool examples where the image was layered and different colors used).

4. Let dry at least 6 hours and then slowly peel off freezer paper.

5. Do not wash for 72 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I love the prints you did! freezer paper crafting is fun fun - and cheap to boot

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried this and it worked really well. I need to get better with the craft knife, but I'm very happy with how the sea shells turned out. I'll post a pic when the whole shirt is done, because I'm free-handing the string that ties them on, I couldn't think of how I was going to do that with this method. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete