Cool Stuff

Cool Stuff From a Love of Motherhood, Scrapbooking, & Decor

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Desserts

My FAVORITE time for dessert is fall (and that's saying a lot because I like dessert any time)! I love pumpkin and apple flavors. What I enjoy making (and eating) the most is pumpkin pie with a crispy topping, apple crisp, and sweet potato pecan pie (oh, don't even get me going on sweet potato recipes!). But I'm always on the lookout for yummy and not too complicated dessert recipes. BHG has a section of "36 Yummy Pumpkin Recipes" that include: (And the pictures below are from BHG recipes on their site.)
Double Decker Pumpkin Bread (I already have a go-to pumpkin bread recipe, but this one, with a layer of cream cheese in it, looks scrumptious),
Pumpkin-Praline Cheesecake (I usually make a pumpkin-swirl cheesecake, but this one looks super-easy if you nix the praline powder),
Pumpkin Tiramisu (How awesome that sounds! Ack!!!!),

Martha Stewart has some great-looking pumpkin recipes as well, of course. Like Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing, Chocolate-Pumpkin Tart, Pumpkin Muffins.



Something I make all through the fall and winter and that is beloved every time is Apple Crisp. I've used the same recipe for years and it's always excellent. I got it from and friend who got it from a friend (so I have no idea who "Mrs. Jezowski" actually is). Give it a try and I'm sure you'll return to it again and again, both for its ease and its deliciousness. We like it with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream.


Mrs. Jezowski's Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp

8 large tart apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1 tsp. cinnamon (or more)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup melted butter

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place sliced apples in a 9" X 13" greased pan.

2. Combine the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle apples with 1/2 of mixture.

3. Combine sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and egg. Spread over apple slices. Sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon mixture. Pour melted butter over the top.

4. Bake for 40 minutes or until brown and bubbly on top. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

For the Crisp I made this year I used CORTLAND APPLES which were AWESOME because they weren't too juicy. I don't like to dish out some crisp and have loads of juice left in the pan (like always happens with Granny Smiths). Cortland was the perfect variety for great taste and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment